Friday, February 22, 2013

My issue with the term "Blessed".

I am so blessed in my life. Truly, I am.  But I've found that the term "blessed" brings with it some negative feelings that I'm not a fan of. 

Because when one person says they are "blessed" with something, and someone else isn't, then what does that make the other person?  Unblessed?  Of course not, but that's the way it makes you feel sometimes. 

So today when something really amazing happened with Grace, I didn't feel comfortable posting publicly how "blessed" I am by having a child who has made me so proud today (I did blog about it, but I don't really share my blog publicly, and wanted to record the memory), and it's mainly because some people I know and love are going through a challenging time with their children right now, and I didn't want to throw out my "blessing" and make them feel like I do when someone else is blessed with something I am not.

Am I just talking crazy here?  I'd love some feedback (if anyone is reading this haha).

Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. I do not think you are crazy! I think you are being very kind & compassionate. You are looking out for how others are feeling and that shows you are a caring & respectful person. I think your blog is a great place to talk about this & also, your daughter too!! It is your space to talk about anything & everything that is important to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all feel some amount of survivors guilt after going through IF. Totally agree with Leslie that you're being kind by trying to think of how others might hear that word. But honestly, you've survived IF and deserve to celebrate all those fun milestones...and feel truly blessed =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling blessed is a gift. A gift you received. Most of us have "gifts" we receive that we feel blessed for. For some it may not be as big of a deal as it is for another, but what you have my dear, is a special blessing in the gift of a daughter so longed for and loved even before you knew her. I do not believe that saying you are blessed should make anyone feel un-blessed in any way. It just shows you are grateful for what you have and you acknowledge that you know it may have not been this way. A blessing is something longed and prayed for, as opposed to being lucky, it's a deeper way of being appreciative. :) Some blessings come quickly and some take time. No need feeling guilty for it.

    ReplyDelete